Pit of Saron must be the place to meet the people worth meeting!
I don’t just mean people…
I mean great people!
Yes, more of those that I was just talking about.
So while I appreciate I could be bringing you more entertaining posts, hell, maybe for once an informative post, I’m going to call out some more WoW heroes!
Frank – Aman’Thul
Frank is in the list for one very important reason (two, but I’ll get to that) – he dropped group.
Yeah, we were stuck on boss number one and he took a bullet for the sake of the group because he believed (and yeah ok, maybe he was right), that his DPS was too low. He gave it a good hard crack though.
The other reason is that he is my Gnome-Punting promoting mate, you might know his as Tree Hugger Dave
Prosmona – Aman’Thul
Where to begin…
A Mage’s mage…
- He offered food immediately!
- Did DPS without pulling agrro (unlike a certain Gnome Mage we all know… some of us love, the rest Rez him)
- Logged out in RP gear!
Holly Gnome poo… AWESOME!
So happy he got the last drop.. Grats!
Trena – Ner’zhul / Bloodlust
- She’s a Lock
- She’s a hot Lock!
- Soul stones, health stones, provided without asking
- Great DPS
- Did I mention she’s a HOT Lock (this new WoW Armory is the new porn.. PORN FOR GEEKS!)
Aside: Have you ever noticed how hot girl locks look… they give their scantily clad Succubus a run for their money!
Joshii – Frostmourne / Bloodlust
- He’s the Tank that is DPS, or
- The DPS that is Tank
- He was our Tank. He admitted that he is DPS tired of waiting for a group, so he’s THE Tank – Got it!
- He’s a damn good tank, the only thing that’s lacking is the gear to give the healer some breathing space… and I don’t mean to say he’s unhealable.
- Who got aggro – He got aggro!
- He’s the man!
Squidly – Aman’Thul
- Pro Healer (not my words… the next guy’s…)
- Calling out the WoW Heroes!
- Honest enough to say I can’t do it…
- Brave enough to give it a go
Ottomanz – Barthilas / Bloodlust
- He stayed!
Ohh yeah much more to come, but I’ll leave it at that for the moment.
What is it that brings me to shower these people with accolades?
1st up, I want to acknowledge Frank, Prosmona and Trena.
This story isn’t so much about them, but without them it wouldn’t be a story. As in all the great sagas of old there were the heroes and the rest.
These folks may be the rest, but they are no less heroes!
Really the story is about the other two, because it flies in the face of (nearly) everything we have read in the blogsphere and forums since 3.3.
The Scene (briefly I promise)
Pit of Saron
- We wipe on Forgemaster Garfrost twice.
- Frank suggests he isn’t helping the party, even though no one has said a bad word, he departs so we can find another.
- Enter stage left: Ottomanz
- Forgemaster Garfrost – one shot
- Ick & Krick – one shot
OK, I will expand a little. No, not on the fight per se, but the behavior of the group. This is one of those encounters where you can identify the bad-standing, situationally unaware, I’m going to DPS, your job is to heal team mates.
They are the ones face down in the green!
NOT ONE ISSUE!
Not here, not anywhere in the instance!
You my dear party members are already heroes!
- During the trash on the hill Ottomanz calls me out… as a Pro Healer?
- As far as he is concerned, Joshii and the rest of us should have been feeding the crows, but we weren’t so I am a Pro Healer… this is backed up by Joshii.. so OK, I am a pro healer.. got that folks?
- The falling ice gauntlet is a mess 1st time, mainly because I was afk for the 1st 10 seconds… and couldn’t catch up.. nearly.. close enough to aggro, too far away to land a heal.
- Scourgelord Tyrannus – Wipe
- I point out I have never successfully healed this, but have dps’d it. Can Ottomanz heal?
- Joshii asks if Ottomanz can tank instead?
- Ottomanz can’t do either (purely based on his knowledge of his own gear capability for this encounter), so we give it another go.
- Scourgelord Tyrannus – Wipe
- /bye says Ottomanz
But wait, there’s more (no steak knives folks!)
OK, so up until now we have a relatively normal story, this is where the heroes proved themselves…
- Ottomanz has already said his goodbyes, but he hasn’t left the party yet.
- Before he goes, he offers some friendly advice about Joshii’s gear and particularly health – yes I mean friendly, helpful advice.
- Of course you know what Joshii does… he accepts it gratefully.
- We all thank Ottomanz for his help and patiently wait for him to drop group…
- But he doesn’t… he then says…
I remember what it was like to be under-geared. I’ll stick with you through this.
DID YOU READ THAT!
Here is a guy that obviously out gears us, that doesn’t particularly want to have to bang his head and his repair bill against the wall, BUT he will give it a go because he remembers what it was like.
The encounter explained… patiently
Ottomanz then sets about patiently explaining the encounter, makes sure we are all comfortable with what is about to happen, and we go again.
- We ran in..
- We engaged…
- We got lucky, I got the Overlords Brand more often than not..
- We survived.. we ALL survived.
It was one of those moments.
You know how at the end of a random, people hit DE, then teleport out…
We didn’t… we just kinda milled about.. satisfied.. maybe even a little proud.
Wrapping it up in a pretty little bow
So to wrap it up.
- 1st I’d like to thank you all for making my life as easy as could be byt playing intelligently.
- 2nd I’d like to say to Joshii… Tanking may not be your preferred spec, but I’m telling you now… if you tank that well in mediocre gear, you will be an awesome tank a couple of hundred badges down the road!
- 3rd I’d like to thank Ottomanz for being a patient, caring supportive member of the party, that gave us a second chance and took the time to educate us and didn’t leave us wondering if we would ever thank that bastard dragon rider down.
- 4th I’d like to thank myself for being a Pro Healer… but that’s a bit conceited… and not entirely deserved.. I just got lucky.
So if any of you readers are Alliance side on Barthilas, Frostmourne or Ner’zhul, please make sure these guys know they have been called out.. I’ll look after the Aman’Thul side of things… I’ll even shout Tree Hugger Dave a beer when he arrives at my place next Friday night.
The Best Pugging People in the game
Here is a challenge for ALL of you.
For the next week, well from this point forward, but at least for the next week, I want you to do an attitudinal shift.
- No failpug stories… none! If you have one, draft it and put it aside, see if you still want to post it in a week.
- Actively remember and write about the Best Pugging People in the game
- When (not if) you participate in the “Everyone” activities below, make sure you publicize it via your blog.
- You are welcome to write your Best Pugging People in the comments here, but I want to shift the attitude in the whole game. While I am happy that I get between 600-1,000 readers a day, that’s not quite 11-12 million players, so
- Go to your realm forums and start a thread called “The Best Pugging People in the Game”.
- Call some people out for being great, write a story if you are so inclined
- Go to their realm forum and do the same thing
- Remember that the Trolls will love this, there is a good chance that your 1st post will become infested… that’s OK. Most people aren’t Trolls, and we will rise up and put them back in their little boxes.
Speaking of Heroes and DeathKnights…
TyphoonTyphoidAndrew‘s interview on Twisted Nether Podcast is available for download and a listen right now. I happen to like Andrew and he’s an Aussie so he’s already off to a good start. However this interview stands on it’s own. I think it’s one of the best I have listened to (which I did live while trying to capture Best Pugging People stories), now you get the chance to download you own copy!
Gnomer and Out, Squidly and Stout!
PS: I mentioned this on Twitter… there is a reason my feedreader never gets below 1,000+ unread items… it’s because of people like Dechion. I read the post, then mark it as unread. Of Dechion’s posts that I read yesterday 8/9 remain (marked) unread… the 9th some bullshit about gearing a DK Tank… Actually it wasn’t bullshit, but it’s not my cup of mana.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.